Just a quick heads-up that Google Calendar spam is now a thing. I woke up to a recurring event to claim a free Samsung watch! Hooray! Here’s another example:
Spammers & hackers will likely be attempting to auto-add calendar events to yourcalendar soon. The best way to address this is to simply disable the “auto-add” feature as described below.
To disable the “automatically add invite” feature in Google Calendar:
- Go to Google Calendar on your computer
- Click the cog in the upper right, then hit settings
- On the list on the left, click “Event settings”
- Look for the “Automatically add invitations” option. Change this to “No, only show invitations to which I have responded”
If you see a repeating spam event on your calendar, you’ll be able to remove them in batches by:
- Clicking one of the recurring spam events
- Clicking the three-dot button near the top right of the pop up
- Hitting “Report as spam”.
IMPORTANT: Many of these spam events reportedly have malicious links in them, so please be extra cautious when clicking links in calendar invites you don’t recognize.
Let me know if you have any questions,
p.s. Even though spammers are prevalent, there’s still a lot of good in the world! We’ve just gotta look for it!