I invested what my wife would describe as “way too much time” this last weekend making some significant improvements to my TMM Dashboard Customizations WordPress plugin.
To be honest, I wasn’t using it, and I think it might be nice to have a plugin that helps me with the initial configuration of a WordPress website (especially speeding up things that are nice-to-haves in the setup process).
This plugin does a number of things:
- It removes all the junk from the WordPress dashboard.
- It displays my blog feed on the WordPress dashboard.
- It removes the WordPress logo from the top-left of /wp-admin/.
- It displays a “Help” panel with my contact info on the WordPress dashboard.
- It asks me to install of a handful of plugins I use on almost every site (Google Analytics, SEO, etc.). (via TGM Plugin Activation plugin)
- It adds functionality to edit the login logo and login background image.
- It makes the wp-login.php page cooler out of the box.
Basically, it helps me to do the things I need to do (SEO, Google Analytics) and also helps me do some things I am too lazy to do (login styles, remove junk from the WordPress dashboard).
It stays up-to-date the WordPress way that you already understand by requiring and using afragen’s Github Updater plugin.
Feel free to fork TMM Dashboard Customizations on Github to:
- Swap in your blog feed url
- Add your contact info.
- Add additional required plugins.
- Surprise me!
See images below.
Ain’t life grand? Well…mostly? – My dad