Let’s just say my pants have been struggling to keep up with my width. I need to start looking at my diet.
So, I thought this would be a great time to utilize custom post types from within a WordPress theme. The goal would be to create a theme that tracks:
- Foods that I eat + calories contained in each food item (i.e. apple = 110 calories)
- Categories of food that I eat (i.e. sweets, breads, grains, dairy, etc.)
- Daily caloric intake (i.e. “1095 calories eaten today”)
- Qualitative feedback about whether or not I met my caloric goals (i.e. I burned 27 more calories than I took in today! That is good.)
I could create a custom post type called “Daily Calorie Tracker”. Each day, I would create a “Daily Calorie Tracker” post that would have:
- custom fields for “type of food” (i.e. apple) with a value of the calories in that type of food (i.e. “110”)
- custom fields for the category that each food item is in (i.e. fruit)
- daily caloric intake goal (i.e. 2000 calories)
Using PHP, I would then display the results of my day’s caloric intake on the front end of the website as well as suggestions for improvement.
Using Heavy Analytics, I would then track how I am doing against my goals. Am I doing good? Do I need improvement? etc.
That’s my idea for the night. What do you think? Any suggestions on how I can streamline this? Did I miss anything?