Note: These are the notes for a presentation I gave at Minnebar on Saturday, November 21, 2009.
BuddyPress is a plugin for WordPress MU (Multi-User) that basically allows you to install and customize your own personal version of Facebook and/or Ning. WordPress MU is amazing software that lets users set up their own websites on your domain. WordPress is the best content management system in the world (that I have used so far).
Things BuddyPress Does Out-of-the-Box:
- Allows users to set up and control their own profiles (with photos!)
- Allows users to set up and control their own WordPress installations.
- Admin delegates access as desired.
- Allows users to create groups and forums. These can be public, private, or invitation-only.
- Users control which forums and groups they are part of.
- Users control notification settings (i.e. whether or not they receive emails for group posts, etc.)
- “Friending” other users (like Facebook)
- Built-in email messaging system (like Facebook)
- Status message updates (like Facebook)
- Template tags for displaying members, site-wide activity, user status messages, lists of user blogs, etc.
- Adds new widgets to play with! (Ex: “Who’s online avatars”, “Welcome Message”, “Site-wide activity”, “recent site-wide posts”, “Recently active member avatars”)
Other Cool Stuff:
- Plugins use the WordPress plugin system, so pretty much anything you can do with WordPress, you can do with BuddyPress.
- Same core as WordPress MU (PHP/MySQL)
- It is open-source.
- A full-time Automattic staffer, Andy Peatling, runs the project.
- Child themes are possible (and recommended). This means that when BuddyPress updates its core files, you will have less updating to do.
- WIDGETS power a lot of the functionality!
How to build a child theme in BuddyPress
BuddyPress Template Tags
Creating a custom page in BuddyPress using only code (advanced)
Creating Communities in BuddyPress (presentation at Wordcamp NYC on 11/14/2009 by Lisa Sabin Wilson)
TestBP.org (Give BuddyPress a test drive!)
Sites using BuddyPress